Saturday, May 9, 2015

Adventure Blog 1


April 4, 2015

My first visit into Station North was a calm one, not to exciting. I had never actually been down there before. At least not that I had realized. I went down initially to do an interview, however that plan ended up failing. We ended up meeting at Station North Arts Cafe (SNAC). As I entered, I saw Kevin Brown standing at the entrance. I probably wouldn't have even thought that much about it, but because we had discussed about him in class before, it was kind of cool actually seeing what or who you were talking about rather than just talking about them. I went into SNAC thinking it would be much different than it really was. It had a different vibe, different feel, different environment than I was expecting. I got a much more cozier,  more like a home feeling or vibe. The colors (green, yellow, white) really lit the place up, and the way the kitchen was set made it give that home feeling which was nice since you don't get that feeling often. It wasn't too big nor too small, it was the perfect size cafe. Even the employees there were welcoming and nice. As we waited for the interviewee to show up, we began talking to the person sitting right next to us, Sylvester Shorts. at first he seemed to us like a professor, however he was really one person who was trying to do something for his community. He had a lot to say and a lot he wanted to do. So, by the end we had a lot of information and contacts to call to get some interviews lined up. After sitting at SNAC for so long, and no interviewee showing up, Adam and I ended up leaving, we didn't want to take up more space than we had to. We ended up walking down to the Chicken Box to see if we could use that as our back-up space for interviews, however when we got there it was being occupied by a singing group. So, then we walked down the street to see the Seoul Rice Cakes' father painting that Alethia had just been discussing in class. It was kind of cool looking at that since, we had just heard about it from Alethia and then just seeing it made a big difference. It was definitely one thing learning or discussing about it, but then a whole other expierence seeing it after talking about it. We walked back past the SNAC and in front of Sofi's Crepes. From there we went to Metro Gallery to see if that could be used as a back up space, however to our luck it was closed. From there we went back to Sofi's and split up, I ended up going into Sofi's Crepes to wait for my ride. Since I had heard so much about crepes and I had never had one. The employee at Sofi's totally got that and he was the one who asked would you want something sweet or a different flavor. I went with the sweet. So, then he told me many people either get the banana crepe or the apple frit crepe. I went with the apple, while I was waiting, I actually got to discuss about our project and he agreed to an interview. Once I got my crepe, I ended up sharing it with my parents. We drove past Red Emma's and Joe Squared. I figured out exactly where I want to go next. I really liked going and seeing Station North. I felt even though I wasn't connected to the place, there was some connection since we discussed it in class, it made a different feeling.  Maybe it was that, that made me go there again and talk to so many people, make so many interviews, because I wanted to here what they had to say.   It was the end of my first adventure in Station North and looking back, it so was not my last.

No comments:

Post a Comment