Monday, April 20, 2015

Station North Update 4



April 20, 2015

April 14-April 20

I would love to say this week went smoother then the last, but I really don't think I can. This past week was so hectic. It started out with just the update we had to give the class and from there it got busy. So, when I updated you last, I had completed some interviews, but I had 4 more scheduled for Wednesday. Before Tuesday, we had to get our update all together. However, I felt there was more confusion on what the update was supposed to be about. Some said it was supposed to be a presentation, discussing individual roles, while we thought it was just supposed to be updating where the voices group was on a broad sense and show them more audio, and what we have done. Unlike the mapping group, I felt we weren't as prepared, since everyone had a different idea, and there wasn't much unison. The entire group was texting amongst each other, to try to keep unison, but it didn't really form the way we wanted. Those are just my thoughts. Also, going up there Tuesday and presenting really made me see how behind we were. I mean yes, we were scheduling, and interviewing, but we had not even started transcribing interviews, and nor had we started picking out themes. Having conducted some interviews, it gave somewhat of an idea, but not having to listen to them again, and not having themes picked out was kind of difficult to make sure we can keep certain themes going. It really gave us a task. Luckily, we got to use the mapping group to help us do that. Each person in the class signed up for an interview to listen to and take notes on the themes in Tuesdays class. After class, Naomi and I went and typed up the list. We ended up having to change 1 or 2 people around to make sure each interview had at least 3 people on it, but then also had 1 voices member on it, so that if they had any questions they could ask them. We ended up adding that on the drive. I had an idea, of transcribing while we theme out. So, if the voices member that were bolded, would evenly distribute a section of the interview they had to each member to transcribe we would have something all the interviews transcribed and themed out by Thursday. Adam and I had interviews lined up on Wednesday getting us not to have to do that, but that didn't mean we had it easy.

As Wednesday, came around 1 of the interviews I had scheduled I was not able to go to, fortunately, Nailah was willing to go. You know what after listening to it, I am really glad she did. I felt that interview had a lot in it. Our interviews started at 11:30, and continued for the rest of the day. My first one was supposed to start at 12:30, however it got started late. I think that happened from the first one. The 12:30 interview with Jonathan A. Greene was good overall. He had a lot to say about art, rather than Station North. The interview started around 1 and ended around 2. I must say, the one thing I really felt was that I was getting used to the feeling of interviewing. Yeah, there were points where I hesitated, but it felt more comfortable. Our next interview was with Sylvester Shorts. He had also invited his business partner, Tarahn Harris. Not only did the interview start late, however, I wasn't expecting his business partner, so I was down a few consent forms, which made us start even later. However, once we finally got it figured out that we would just print it at the next place. We got them to sign and started the interview. Both Sylvester and Tarahn had a lot to say. Sylvester more along the lines of what he does, and Tarahn had a lot of thought on change. It was probably an hour or so later when the interview ended. It was then, Adam realized the recording didn't go off and none of it recorded. We spend an hour plus doing an interview and none of it was there. The only problem now was we had to get to the next interview in 30 minutes and it takes about 30 to get there. We were running really late. So, we decided that we could meet up with Sylvester later, and Tarahn if he could make it. I wasn't sure if I would be able to go, since my parents had driven me, and they had already waited there since 12:30, but if not Adam said he could go. He did take the list of questions, however this time the one thing I really liked about doing this interview was that I really didn't go off my list of questions. It felt more natural. We finally got to our next interview, I think it was right on time. They were nice enough to print off the consents there since I had given my last ones to the interview before.

This interview I must say was amazing. I can't say Adam and I did much. The interview was done with the owners of the Chesapeake Restaurant, Philip and Donald Friedman. Now, Philip lives down in Florida, and Donald lives here in Maryland. After finding Donald's number, and contacting him, he told me that he was going down to Florida for his fathers 90th birthday and they would be willing to talk to us. He even said that we would be able to do at least 3 projects on Station North. Fortunately, his dad and he were coming back up this past week to celebrate his birthday. So, I ended up scheduling a time to meet them in person. Philip (everyone calls him Penny), had a wealth of knowledge on Station North and its history. He had been there since 1918, and grew up there. He could name the streets, name locations, buildings, and told you the history on it. The really nice thing about the interview was that Penny and Don both were having a basic conversation on Station North, letting us know what changed, and how it developed. An hour flew by just sitting there. We really wished we had more time, however Penny was going back. Now, Penny and Don did say we could give him a call to discuss more, if we wanted to. As we winded up that interview, we called Sylvester to see if he was willing to meet. I did end up going back to interview. This time, Tarahn and Sylvester were separated. We met with Sylvester, and this time we were able to talk about Station North and his role in the community. We ended up just deciding, we had done a really long pre-interview. However, we were glad that Sylvester and Tarahn both understood and were willing to meet with us one more time. I ended up getting back later than I expected. In the end, I figured that I would try to listen to one of the interviews we had conducted that day, to either transcribe or pick out themes. However, that did not happen, they weren't up and I understood that too, since it was such a hectic day, in just one word I would say it was exhaustive. If I learned one thing other than make sure it is recording that day, it was too give more time than just a few minutes between interviews, even if it is the same location because delays can totally happen. In class when I asked Adam if he was cool with that, he said, lets separate an hour between each interview.

The next day, groups had themes picked out from interviews. Although there was not much transcribed we had a general idea. During class time, since I wasn't in a group I decided to listen to some of the recordings. Now that they were all up, I could even listen to the ones we had done the day before. I ended up also scheduling 2 more interviews: Tarahns' redo interview as well, the owner of Sofi's Crepes. I knew Scott had someone he wanted to contact from Red Emma's he hadn't contacted yet, so we ended up starting a draft. Then we found out James knew someone at Red Emma's so we gave him the contact. Other than that, I spoke to James to see if I were to contact someone which group they be from. He gave the idea of trying to contact maybe a police officer in Station North, since that was one of the themes that came up. I couldn't find much in it, however if I can I would definitely like to see what they have to say, especially after listening to Dusty's interview. Once class was over, I ended up going back and transcribing one of the interviews done on Wednesday. I figured, better to have one interview completely transcribed than none. I did the one that Nailah had interviewed, since I really wanted to see what he had to say, but also because Adam and Nailah said really good about it. While listening to it, I ended up transcribing the whole thing, finishing it Thursday night and then posting it, so the class has it, if they need it especially the people editing the audio. I wasn't able to look at the themes, but I did have a general idea. On Friday and Saturday, I was able to highlight the themes, and right what I thought the general idea was on the side. I ended up posting it today, after double checking the themes I got from it. The week was hectic, and we got a lot of stuff done, but we still have a lot more to do.

I have 2 interviews to do this Wednesday, again. I know there are 2 or 3 additional interviews scheduled. I think this is the last week we planned on interviewing. After that we really do need to end up transcribing and pulling out themes, from the recent interviews, that weren't done as a class. There is still editing the audio to do, and putting things together to get the final project. As we get closer to the end, it is getting more stressful, but I hope we do make a great final piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment