Monday, April 6, 2015

Station North Project Update 2



Week of March 30 to April 6

So, this was a week from figuring out what we would do next to trying to conduct interviews. The week started out with us just going over the schedule and what we were going to do next. We got the tentative dates down, but don't have it set in stone. I think it became difficult when everyone has something else they are trying to discuss and only a few people work on the schedule. However we had broken down our group into smaller groups. Our group finalized the ASK and it was ready for sending out to people. Now, Nailah and I discussed how we would script an email and telephone conversations, since we cannot just send an attachment and not write in the email. So, in the end we decided, that I would get out a script of what could be sent out to potential interviewees. I had completed that by late Tuesday, so that people could get contacting the interviewees.We also decided on Tuesday, who would be contacting people, and when would we do it by. Before spring break, we had decided that each person had to find 3 contacts and we would put our names next to them. So, on Tuesday we decided that we would contact the people we wrote. I went ahead and contacted them on Wednesday. I got positive response from 1 and somewhat a response from the second, since I only was able to speak to the receptionist. For the third contact, I left a voicemail, but still never heard anything back. I will probably wait 1 more day before contacting all 3 again, since none of them scheduled, even though the one said they would be willing to do it. Later that night I also found a contact list the Mapping Group shared with us. I looked at the names and bolded which ones were listed twice and then asked the group if we wanted to contact them. Since there was positive response, I went ahead and posted the list on the drive and will start contacting more people on this list since, I wasn't able to get much positive response.

By Thursday, Adam had several interviews scheduled with a group of people who were making a music video. I decided I would go with him to interview on Saturday. When I got to Station North Arts Cafe, Adam was already waiting for me. He filled me in on the interview with Nailah that they had the wrong date for and told me the last interview was a no show. We hoped that this interviewee would show up, but unfortunately it was also a no show. We did wait for the interviewee for awhile before we called it quits. Not to lose the chance, Adam started a conversation with the man across from us. He had a knowledge on the area and had a similar plan in mind to get people to see the voices of the unheard but for certain people. When he heard about our project, he helped us out a lot by giving more people he suggested we interview. He introduced us to one of the people he thought we should interview, we got to speak to him for a few minutes, until he had to go, fortunately he was willing to do an interview. So, hopefully soon we will be able to schedule interviews for the names we just got and get out and try once again for interviews and hopefully they show up. After that I was able to see a little bit of Station North, thanks to Adam showing me around a little bit, (more in adventure blog). The main thing is when we split I went to Sophies Crepes, ended up buying a crepe, and started talking to them about my project. They were willing to do an interview, even at that time, but since Adam had gone and my ride was here we couldn't do it. I was able to get their contact information. They said I could try calling them to schedule. I have texted, and emailed them and today I even called them, however no response. I think this week I will go down again and try to just meet with them there to see if they would be willing to do it.

One thing I wish to know: How many times should one call before calling it quits. I really don't want to harass people, but if they said they would do it, I feel like I can call them.

One thing I learned: We really need a back up space to interview in, if they don't want to choose a space because doing it in someone else' business can make the owner upset even if you purchase something. Adam and I had looked at the ChickenBox and Metro Gallery. So, if there is a way to get those spaces it would be better than recording in someone else's place.

I never thought how stressful this could be, contacting people, not showing up, building relationship, however now I know. I just hope I can find someone willing to give us an interviews scheduled.

One thing I really think we need to complete: Get everyone contacted on both lists, since many people may not respond or show up, at least if we have interviews scheduled we may be able to get something done. We need to make a schedule that everyone can follow by, and start interviewing. Hope this week will run smoother and we get some interviews scheduled, as well as, they show up.

No comments:

Post a Comment